At The Chamber of Medford/Jackson County, our priority is to create a stronger local economy. Over 1,500 small and large businesses collectively work together to achieve this goal by promoting the community, providing networking opportunities and representing business issues through lobbying and political action. The Chamber is the number one business resource citizens look to in the community. The area's economic well-being benefits from the work performed by The Chamber. That is why we seek to have a major impact on business, income and future growth of the Medford/Jackson County area.
Our Mission At Work Throughout the Decades
The first Chamber in the United States was formed in 1768. Chambers are longstanding institutions with a proven track record of “Helping Business Succeed.”
The Chamber of Medford/Jackson County was first organized in 1895 as the Medford Board of Trade & incorporated into the Greater Medford Chamber of Commerce in 1919.
The Chamber of Medford/Jackson County has a long-standing history of being involved in the creation of a strong economy and helping to maintain the quality of life we all enjoy.
The Chamber supported the county to buy land in south Medford where the Jackson County Fairgrounds were located. Barber Field, as it was called, is where the State of Oregon’s first airstrip was located and where Oregon’s first air mail was delivered.
The Chamber passed a bond issued to build a new airport, which was dedicated in 1930. The Chamber was also instrumental in helping move the courthouse from Jacksonville to Medford in 1933.
Chamber President Glenn Jackson led the effort to have Camp White located here, which led to a population boom. After the war, Chamber leaders organized investors and bought the Camp White land, which is known today as White City.
The Chamber, along with the Community Hospital Board, enlisted Standford Research Institute to study the area, and determined a need for new medical facilities. The Chamber raised major funds and in 1956, Rogue Valley Medical Center was under construction.
The Chamber was active in the development of a new high school, in converting Camp White hospital into the VA Domiciliary, and in construction of the new city hall and federal building. After the floods of 1964, The Chamber led the Rogue Basin Flood Control Project, which built the Applegate and Lost Creek dams.